Saturday, December 14, 2013

It's been awhile...

Since the last time I posted, there was a wave of progress following the FutureMusic magazine coverage. Around that same time, I reached #1 on Myspace's Unsigned Hip-Hop Music Chart. As a result, collab requests poured in. I received more than I could handle. I started falling behind on response time.

I dropped "Nod Ya Head Musick", a track by Yung Miss featuring a verse by me, on Coast2Coast Mixtapes' DJ RPM Presents The Showcase Vol. 169. But just as I was about to fully promote it, the jaws of the recession finally closed in in me. I was able to forestall negative effects from the recession, but eventually it caught up. Almost all progress grounded to a halt gradually over the next year.

I performed a few shows at JT's Bar & Lounge with some other performers from Louisville. It has great promise but not everybody was serious so it didn't work. During the downtime, I did edit and mix songs that I had already started, but that was about it. I let my ReverbNation pages and all social networks go dark. I was off the radar. I even started rebranding my Youtube channel as a prepper/survivalist channel. But then I came back.

I hooked up everything in the studio that had fallen into disrepair. I updated all of the programs, drivers, and operating systems for my gear and software. I finished the mixes for several songs and developed a signature vocal effects setting. I upgraded several programs and pieces of gear. But there was one problem.

I didn't have any new material that was ready for release. All I had was a free mixtape that I only had an 8-bar verse on from 3 years ago and a subliminal motivation CD that I made. I charged forward as if the mixtape was new and the hottest thing around. I went from unranked locally on ReverbNation's Louisville Hip-Hop Chart to #1 on the Louisville Hip-Hop Local Chart, #1 on the Louisville All Genres Chart, #13 on the National Hip-Hop Chart, #15 on the Global Hip-Hop Chart,  and #116 on the Global All Genres Chart.

The mixtape has gone from just over 1,600 downloads to over 26,000 downloads in just a month of renewed efforts. I have greatly increased my online fan base. I also recently did a show a Highlands Taproom with Chuck Tone and Eddie & The F@ckmunkys. This is the last month that the building will be there. The venue is moving further down Bardstown Road. It was good to say goodby to the old venue with all it memories: jamming with Eddie & The F@ckmukys, DJ Dietrich, Catastrophe, The Event, BENK, and many others, hosting Tuesday nights with almost everything being improvised. Good times.

Right now I've finished and mastered an EDM (electronic dance music) track called "Don't Stop Now" ft/ Big Beat, which will be on Coast2Coast mixtape's EDM Vol. 7 mixtape. I have also finished  and mastered a nightcore remix for "Don't Stop Now". I have come to the conclusion that I will now make nightcore remixes for every song and eventually release a compilation of nightcore remixes. This is because nightcore mixes are very cheap to make and the target audience is fiercely loyal enough to offset their lack of market size. Nightcore YouTube clips enjoy insanely high 99%+ approval ratings.

I'm spreading my promotional efforts in a more global approach. I've found that some other countries are even more receptive to my music than my own. But that's enough for now. The grind still awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment